Scholarship Program 2021
Computer science and engineering has become increasingly more important in almost every industry, we have seen the number of students majoring in these fields explode. Computer science has broken into the mainstream as a fascinating and practical area of study that will maximize the career prospects of its graduates. It’s no secret that Computer Science and Engineering degrees are a smart career move, earning students significantly higher starting salaries and enjoying much higher employment rates in the first year after graduation than college grads on average. The only question is whether supply of Computer Science & Engineering grads will rise fast enough to meet the demand for talent in Silicon Valley, government and military, and even in non-tech sectors that have a growing need for this specialty.
But majoring in CS isn’t just good for the student, it’s good for the world. Many of the advances in our society in the last few decades are backed by software and code. Everything from life-saving hospital monitoring systems to the now-ubiquitous smart phone is powered by CS experts. Imagine modern education, philanthropy, or communication without software. Platforms for learning, video-chatting, booking an AirBNB or Uber, or donating to charitable organizations have all been built, maintained, and protected by software engineers.
At NETGEEK, we want to encourage the next generation of coders to learn this important skill and make a positive impact on their communities and society. That is why we are pleased to offer an annual $1000 scholarship to students pursuing study in one of the following majors:
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Computer Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Graphic Design
DO I QUALIFY?
You qualify for this scholarship if you meet all of the following criteria:
– You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
– You are enrolled in an accredited college or university (have either accepted a school’s offer of admission if you will be a freshman, or are a returning sophomore, junior, etc.)
– You are majoring in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, or a mixed disciplinary major that includes a computing component such as computational science, medical informatics, or gaming and animation.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please apply via the online form below by August 3rd, 2021, including all of the following components:
Write a 5000-word essay explaining how you want to use your area of study to impact the world. Whether it’s hardware or software, we want to hear how your creativity and passion, honed by education in the field, is going to make a difference. Please submit your essay using the below form in a .doc file.
Proof of enrollment
(please submit just one of the following)
– A scanned copy of your student identification card
– A transcript or list of courses you are enrolled in for the Fall semester
– A letter from your school’s admissions or student affairs office stating that you are an enrolled student
– An acceptance letter from your school showing that you have been accepted for the current calendar year (if you are a freshman or new transfer student only)
– Full legal name
– Address and telephone number
– Your college or university’s name
– Your major or area of study
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
After reviewing all of the essays, we will pick one (1) winner by August 17th 2021, give you a call to congratulate you, and send a check for $1000 directly to the College or University listed in your application to be applied against your tuition cost.
Our scholarship program is annual, which means you can re-apply each year for a chance to win the scholarship every year you are in school (even if you have already won in a previous year).
WHAT’S THE SMALL PRINT?
– We reserve the exclusive right to publish any of the entries we receive
– Incomplete entries will not be counted